The Muslim Educational Trust (MET) was founded in 1993 to be a source of healing and unifying for our Portland community, both Muslim and non-Muslim. MET is dedicated to the betterment of our society, and strives to achieve its purpose through education, cooperation, networking, and programs which benefit Muslims and non-Muslims in the greater Portland metro area. In this spirit, a collaboration was formed this Fall 2018 with Home Forward and Metro to address the needs, challenges, and opportunities that community members face when it comes to affordable housing especially around the SW Corridor where the anticipated Trimet expansion has raised concerns over affordability of housing in the vicinity, which will directly impact families in our community, both Muslim and non-Muslim.
Join us for a Community Design Workshop to Develop a Vision for the Future of the West Portland Town Center Co-hosted by The City of Portland, UniteOregon, and Community Alliance of Tenants.
Saturday November 9th, 2019 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Markham Elementary School: 10531 SW Capitol Hwy (TriMet bus line #44)
Includes Lunch at 1:00 p.m., Childcare (ages 3 and older), Interpreters, and a Raffle
FREE and Open to ALL
Please click here for more information. Interpretation and childcare are provided.
See attached multilingual fliers: English, Arabic, Somali, Spanish, Swahili (please link to the attached documents; one for each language)
Affordable Housing - July 2019 Newsletter
Affordable Housing 101 - November 2018 Newsletter
This collaboration in SW - October 2018 Newsletter
About Affordable Housing along the SW Corridor:
- SW Corridor Light Rail Project (In Arabic) (In Somali)
- Many landlords contact Home Forward with rental listings: www.homeforward.org/find-a-home/get-help-paying-rent/section8-apartment-listings
- Home Forward’s Section 8 (Tenant-based voucher) wait list is currently closed. There has been a freeze on pulling names from the existing wait list for the past two years due to a range of funding constraints.
- Be sure to sign up for our eNewsletter in order to hear about the next wait list opening: http://www.homeforward.org/get-informed/current-news (SIGNUP at the top right corner)
- Updated list of properties with Project-Based Vouchers is maintained on website: www. homeforward.org/find-a-home/get-help-paying-rent/section-8 apartment-listings
- Washington County Housing Services: https://www.co.washington.or.us/Housing/
- The Metro Council referred the affordable housing bond to the voters for the upcoming November ballot:
Misc. Informational Session References and Resources:
- SW Corridor Equitable Housing Strategy
- Info Session Powerpoint
- Community Organizations Resource List
- Info Session Flier in English, Spanish, and Somali
- Info Session Agenda
- Info Session Pre-Survey and Post-Survey
- Info Session Attendee Questionnaire
For more information, please contact the Muslim Educational Trust at (503) 579-6621.