Welcome to ISMET/OIA Online Schooling
Online Learning Logistics
The platform we are using for online learning is Google Classroom. Google Classroom is your point of reference for homework/project/exam postings; HAC continues to hold your Gradebook. Google Classroom is the environment in which your teachers will assign work, provide comments on your work, proctor online exams and quizzes, deliver virtual lectures, and hold daily live check-ins. You will also be able to turn in assigned work and projects within this platform.
In light of the pandemic and the Governor’s guidelines for schools, we will need to find an alternative to come together as a school community to resume teaching and learning. Alhamdulillah, we are grateful for technology that makes it feasible to learn and connect remotely which seems to be the only option we have at this time. Granted, this experience will never be the same as being in class and making that personal connection with your teachers and peers, but it is a viable solution for the time being until this crisis is over, in shaa Allah soon, and we come out of it better and stronger as a humanity with our life priorities in order, our egos/nafs more humbled, and a renewed appreciation of the immense blessings we take for granted every day, ameen.
Dear parents and students, we appreciate your positive partnership to make this experience successful towards our mutual goal of helping our students grow in responsibility and character and successfully meet the learning outcomes for each of their classes and advance to the next grade level in the upcoming school year, in shaa Allah. Before we start, we would like to ask for your patience as we navigate online schooling together over the next few weeks (and possibly months). While our teachers and school admin/tech team have been working hard to get ready for this new experience, we appreciate your understanding and partnership as we get used to this new medium of teaching/learning. We also appreciate your support for your child's teacher(s) and your child's learning to ensure a positive and productive experience for all, in shaa Allah. Things will be tweaked as we go to perfect the process, in shaa Allah.
Dear parents and students, we appreciate your positive partnership to make this experience successful towards our mutual goal of helping our students grow in responsibility and character and successfully meet the learning outcomes for each of their classes and advance to the next grade level in the upcoming school year, in shaa Allah. This addendum to our handbook contains the logistics and protocols for our online schooling. This information is also included on our website under Education - ISMET/OIA Online Schooling, which contains all pertinent information in that regard. Please also note our HELP DESK/TECH SUPPORT that is available Monday thru Friday, 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, as noted below.
Online Learning Logistics & Learning Platforms:
The platform we are using for online learning is Google Classroom and Meet. Our team researched different options and found that Google Classroom and Hangouts provide a medium that safeguards the security and privacy of our students. Google Classroom is your point of reference for homework/project/exam postings; HAC continues to hold your gradebook.
- Google Classroom will provide the environment in which your teachers will assign work, provide comments on your work, proctor online exams and quizzes, deliver virtual lectures, and hold daily live check-ins. You will also be able to turn in assigned work and projects within this platform.
- Google Classroom, Hangouts, and Meet are accessible from a computer OR a mobile device. Parents and/or older siblings, please help your child get setup and logged in for their online classes.
- For mobile devices, please upload apps from the App Store.
- If you will be using a computer, connect to classroom.google.com / hangouts.google.com / meet.google.com on your internet browser.
- ISMET Students will have one Google classroom with different topics for the different subject matter
- OIA Students will have multiple classrooms: one per subject matter
- By now, all students should have joined their classes.
- Students are expected to login and connect at the time of their scheduled classes each day.
- All students MUST have all their textbooks; if you do not, you will need to give us a call and schedule a time to pick them up from MET.
Platform Recap at-a-glance:
- Students use their metpdx.org email accounts to login to Google Classroom and Home Access Center
- Parents have separate Home Access Centers accounts with their personal emails as login
- Google Classroom: 1 per class for ISMET classes: Point of Reference for assigned work, homework, class work, projects, online quizzes, etc.
- Google Classroom: 1 per subject for OIA classes: Point of Reference for assigned work, homework, class work, projects, online quizzes, etc.
- Google Meet: Platform for online class meetings per schedule
- Zoom: Platform for conferences and special events (i.e. collective Quran recitation, debate, senior theses, fair presentations, field day, etc.)
- Home Access Center: Point of reference for gradebook, and grades to-date in each class.
- If you are connecting from a phone or mobile device, please upload the Apps ahead of time for Google Classroom, Meet, and Hangouts
Google MEET for ALL PK-12 Online Classes, NOT HANGOUTS:
- Our tech team has been working closely with Google to improve the process for online class experiences, and Google MEET has now become the BETTER option. The Google Meet Link is posted on the Google Classroom Banner. When it is time for class, Go to your Google Classroom (for your grade or subject) and CLICK the GOOGLE MEET LINK in the banner underneath the class name. If you are joining class from a phone or mobile device, please click the video icon on the Google Classroom banner.
- For classes already using MEET, you will continue to do so, but please make sure to always go to your classroom banner to click the link there to join your class. HANGOUTS only used OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME as an auxiliary communication and learning support tool; Parental Management NEEDED:
- It is very important that students are focused and actively engaged in their online class experiences; The hangouts platform is a good medium for student-teacher exchanges with questions, one-on-one help, as well as student-student exchanges for group projects, etc. Page 3 of 7
- Dear parents, we will need your support in managing these exchanges and closely monitoring them especially for younger students to minimize unnecessary talk or distractions. This is a new platform for all, and it is critical that our children use it safely and responsibly. Please NEVER LEAVE your child unattended online, and limit unnecessary hangout groups and/or exchanges.
Online Learning Netiquettes, Guidelines, and Code of Conduct:
Please Read HERE.
In an effort to ensure a better experience and a POSITIVE, SAFE, and PRODUCTIVE learning space for all, here are a few additional guidelines that all students MUST observe:
- Please KNOW YOUR SCHEDULE; you may look it out at the MET website within the Education tab.
- ISMET Parents (PK-5th Grade) MUST accompany student throughout their online classes.
- Please be ready ON TIME with your device (phone, mobile device, laptop, computer).
- ONLY the teacher should INITIATE the video call at the start of class time; students are not supposed to do that.
- BE ON TIME for class; attendance is taken at start and end of class.
- Student Video MUST BE ON throughout the duration of class.
- Students MUST follow the teacher's instruction promptly to mute/unmute sound, or stop unnecessary chat or discussion.
- Students CANNOT use the chat/group conversation DURING class time, unless they want to communicate an important message to the teacher.
- Chat group CANNOT be used for casual conversation, spamming, and non productive messages that have nothing to do with the class.
- Be kind and respectful, and make the most of your class time by paying attention to your teacher and taking notes.
- Choosing NOT TO FOLLOW these guidelines will result in a lower participation grade.
- Use your student metpdx.org account to LOGIN; NO other accounts, please
- Keep your video and audio ON
- Welcome! You are now in your online class with your teacher and peers
- Teacher will go over Netiquettes (during the first week of school)
- Teacher will take attendance
- Start with Morning Duaa
- Teacher may ask students to MUTE their sound to turn off background noise and improve sound quality
- Teacher will proceed with online class, assign work, open for discussion
- Teacher may call on you, and you must be ready to reply
- Remember to Un-mute to be able to participate in discussion or ask a question
- Follow all rules and follow teacher's lead as s/he gives you permission to speak
- Remember class time is limited and we need to make the best use of it!
- At the end of class, teacher will check everyone out; end the conversation
- Get ready for your next online class! Please follow your class schedule also available on your Google Calendar at your student metpdx.org account.